Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Secret Ingredient - Yummy Homemade Crème Fraîche!

.

.
I recently learned how to make my own crème fraîche (a rich cream with slightly sour taste and a velvety texture) and I can't keep it in the frig for more than a few days. The first time I assembled the ingredients, I was nervous, but soon discovered it was ridiculously easy to whip up - with a great flavor and texture - just like store bought. Do I
dare say -- better than store bought -- since I control the quality of the ingredients. And store bought is ridiculously expensive$. ;)
.
This recipe makes 1/2 cup - I usually double or triple it though, each time I make it. Seriously, the list of dishes that can be enhanced by this delicious cream is practically endless!!
.
P.S. Do not worry about the cream going bad. In the book,
In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion" the author explains that -- "the benign live bacteria in the buttermilk will multiply and protect the cream from any harmful bacteria". Cool!
.
Crème Fraîche

1/2 cup heavy cream (Strauss organic - love those bottles!)

1 tablespoon cultured buttermilk (organic as well)

Place the cream in a glass jar or bowl. Add the buttermilk. Close jar tightly with a lid or cover with plastic wrap and shake/mix well. Store the jar at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours until the mixture is thick. The fermentation will happen faster when the room temperature is warmer. Refrigerate in its jar for 1 week to 10 days.

Other Serving Suggestions

  • Add to sauces, stews, and soups
  • Coat chicken or salmon before grilling or broiling
  • De-glaze pan with wine, reduce, and add crème fraîche
  • Whip to soft peaks, add honey and diced, candied ginger – and swirl atop fruit desserts
  • Mix with fresh, ripe berries, sugar, and a dash of balsamic vinegar
  • Blend with batter for moist muffins, scones, and cakes
  • Use in place of sour cream for delectable stroganoff or Alfredo sauces
Just thought I'd throw this in too --

Creme Fraiche Frosting:

In bowl of electric mixer, with whisk attachment, beat the Creme Fraiche with 1-2 tablespoons (14-28 grams) of granulated white sugar until stiff peaks form. Can be used in desserts instead of whipped cream.

Preparation time 20 minutes.

Enjoy!!

(Photos Via Jupiter Images and www.thenibble.com)

2 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Oh delicious! You are making me crave things I shouldn't. Beautiful post, yet again.

Honeygo Beasley said...

Horray for you, Sabina! I posted about this a long time ago on my Paris blog (how I wanted to make Creme Fraiche) but never did. I thought summer would be a good time to do it and it is easy.

You've reminded me and I shall go back to do it.

Enjoy your batch!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...