Friday, January 16, 2009

Fridays Photos - White House and Decorator To the President

_
_
_
For two years Laura Bush worked with funds from the White House Historical Association (no tax money involved) to return the Lincoln Room to some sort of historical authenticity. So far critics are approving and from all that I have read and seen I have to agree.
_
Lincoln's Room was actually his office during his Presidency and he never slept in the bed but his son Willie Lincoln, 11, died there from typhoid fever in 1862. Harry Truman is most responsible for the creation of what has become America's most revered bedroom.
_
You don't want to get me started about the White House - it's history - decor and how each family impacted it. I could go on for hours on this subject, and know far more than the average person -- as my family painfully knows. Although my husband, who's main interests have always been History/Politics, appreciates this little known fact about me. Thank you Mark! So when I read the article at domino online entitled - Meet the New White House Decorator - I was all over it.
_

_
"I would love to redecorate the White House!" Michael Smith told domino magazine in April 2008, foreshadowing the January 12 news that the Los Angeles-based interior designer has been selected to do exactly that for the Obama family. "The family's casual style, their interest in featuring 20th century American artists and utilizing affordable brands and products will serve as our guiding principles as we make the residence feel like their home," Smith says. Michelle Obama says that "Michael shares my vision for creating a family-friendly feel for our new home and incorporating some new perspectives from some of America's greatest artists and designers."
__
_

_
__
_
If your interested in an online tour of the White House click on this link:
_

14 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Sabina,

You did a beautiful job with all the photos in this post. I have lots of exploring to do now!

Thanks, Rosemary

Lorri said...

This is a very interesting article to read. Thanks so much for posting it. I do hope this designer takes in consideration the history involved in the monumental task.
Lorri

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I can't wait to see what the Obamas do with the White House!

annechovie said...

I like their philosophy about redecorating and it'd be really great for them to incorporate some art from a site like Etsy and feature some work from contemporary American independent artists/crafters also. How democratic would that be?

Unknown said...

Sabina, all I can say is WOW! love the see the pictures on different era..I wonder how it will be after this.. happy weekend :D

corine said...

How come you know so much and why is it painful? I hope to read the story.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

what a fantastic post--how absolutely cool to "unstuffify" the white house...
(p.s. i love your blog! found you through nadia and will be back for sure!)

Anonymous said...

The side by side photos are *so* illuminating. & I'm so interested in seeing the changes the Obamas make!

cotedetexas said...

love this! did you highlight the rooms you like the best - because I love the kennedy rooms so much! sorry - but I am not a fan of the new Lincoln bedroom!! the first coffee table I ever got was when I was about 8 or 9 and made my parents sign up for Book of the Month club so that I could get the White House!!!! I still have it, almost 50 years later. I can so relate to you!!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous post!!!

cotedetexas said...

whoa - you talked to O?????
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda Lou said...

It will great to see all the new changes made with the Obama family in the whitehouse! I am sure it will warm, modern and family friendly! How exciting to see all the different decor the previous Presidents have enjoyed!

Sabina said...

Thanks for your comment "Cote de Texas" - the one on O made me laugh. I spoke to him long before anyone thought he could even possibly be the democratic candidate.

For anyone out there reading my comment on this comment check out this bloggers site. The latest one on kitchen design blew me away!

Thanks so much to everyone who commented on this particular post - it was near and dear to my heart.

Sabina ~

Fifi Flowers said...

Love this post!
Great to see the different administrations' interior designs.

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love history and I just loved looking through all the pictures you posted. It will be interesting to see what changes the Obamas make. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...