Thursday, August 14, 2008

Portable Snack - High Energy Mix

_


_
2 Parts Nuts to 1 Part Dried Fruit
_
Pumpkin Seeds (lowest in calories)
Almonds
Sunflowers Seeds
Raisins
Dried Cranberries
Dried Apricots
_
In a large bowl combine all.
_
Bag 1/3 of a cup of the mixture to take along with you or for kids. Don't forget to have lots of small re-useable containers (with lids) on hand, to avoid disposable bags that add to the landfills.
_
_
Raisins - are a good source of iron, potassium and selenium and also contain vitamin A and some vitamin B. Raisins are also rich in fiber.
_
Almonds - are rich in minerals, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous and especially high in calcium. Almonds are high in mono-unsaturated fat which helps to lower cholesterol, especially the bad cholesterol (LDL). Almonds contain a high degree of oleic acid, which is believed to be the ingredient in olive oil that protects against heart disease.
_
Pumpkin Seeds - are a superfood. Pumpkin seeds are rich in the amino acids alanin, glycine and glutamic acid, and also contain high amounts of zinc.
_
Dried Apricots - they are a good source of iron and potassium.
_
Sun Flowers Seeds - are power-packed with healthy fats, protein, fiber, minerals, and vitamin E.
_
Dried Cranberries - contain significant amounts of antioxidants and other phytonutrients that may help protect against heart disease, cancer and other diseases.
_

7 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

lovely pics! Such a beautiful reminder to get in the right nutrients in a hurry! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sabina, what a pleasure to browse your pretty blog today. So many pretty photos. How do you find them all? Great selections and recipes.

Thanks for popping by for a visit to my blog too. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a nice comment too.

Hope you have a great week,

Lisa
http://lisatutmanoglesby.typepad.com/

Marie Louise said...

I just started an "eat healthy" diet. This is perfect!

Marie Louise said...

Sabina - I am just scrolling through your blog and I realize that this is in fact blogger but your format is different - larger photos, etc. Do you have the new larger format? And if so, do you mind sharing with me how you got it? Thanks!

Sabina said...

Hi Marie Louise. Thanks for stopping by!

In the format section I am using the "Minima Stretch", created by Douglas Bowman. This places my daily blog all the way to the left of the screen leaving a small area to the right for extras - bio - favs - etc.

Hope that helps. :)

Sabina ~

Anonymous said...

I hope my kids will find this snack as good as it is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Dearest Sabina
Excellent post! I love dried fruits though we dont have good quality here, but in Thailand, its a dried fruit heaven. I didnt know the benefits was so much...I'll stock up loads when I go to Bangkok :D Have a blessed weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...